Recently I went to Australia and had breakfast at a gorgeous cafe by the beach. The owners are actually parents and they close their cafe at 4pm every day to go and pick up their kids from school and then go home as a family to have dinner. I thought what a wonderful idea! But then I remembered – what do they do when the kids are sick? If the kids are sick, then one of them must have to stay home to care for them. And what about when they want to go for a holiday? Every time I go to the cafe they are there, so I wonder if they ever have time to take a long break to go traveling.
These are some of the things to consider if you want a true Minimalist Business.
If you want the freedom to choose how you spend each day, without being locked into a routine or a Brick and Mortar business, then it is important to consider the core essential for any Minimalist Business.
That is, it has to be an Online Business.
Here are some of the top reasons to choose an Online Business:
- Easy to start! All you need is a computer and internet connection.
- Minimal investment required. All you need is a website, newsletter, and social media. Often people say that online businesses are perfect if you have zero marketing budget, as you don’t need to invest in paid advertising to find customers.
- Easy to stop if it is not working. I have often launched websites only to close them within 12 months if they didn’t go as I had planned. This is very easy to do! And if you have content on the website that you would like to keep, you can easily merge the content into your main website.
- Work from anywhere. This is one of the most important benefits! I have basically built my online business from scratch myself by working on it every time my children took a daytime nap. I started my website when I was on maternity leave with my first baby, and honestly every time he took a nap, instead of watching TV or cleaning (which often was impossible otherwise I would wake him!) I would bring out my laptop and type away writing articles and fixing my website. Even if I was outside at a cafe or a park and my children fell asleep in the stroller, I could easily sit down and type on my laptop.
- Automation. Websites nowadays can be automated, so it can make money for you even if you are not in your office. You can even be on a holiday, and if you have an information-based business that is automated, you can be making holiday while swimming at the beach! So awesome!
So when you start dreaming of owning your own cafe by the beach or boutique shop in the village, remember all the benefits of having your own online business.