Are you working full time at a company, but dream of starting your own business so that you can have the freedom to enjoy your life the way you want?
The reality for many people who desire their own Minimalist Business, is that they need to work double or triple hard for a few years until they are able to quit their full-time job.
Here are some steps to consider if you are in this situation:
- Plan 5-6 hours per week to spend on creating your new business:
- If you are a working mother, you will not be able to spend all your free time outside of your day job creating your new business, as all your free time is spent looking after your kids! To be honest, you will be even struggling to spend 30min each evening after the children go to bed, as you will be so exhausted that you may also fall asleep most nights. And you don’t want to burn out from working too hard and lack of sleep. Believe me! I personally have found it possible to work about 30min each day (for example, answering emails on your iPhone during your commute to work, and maybe another 15-20min working on your website in the evening while cooking dinner). Then on the weekends, you can usually spend a few hours working on your business while your children are watching a movie or having a sleep. So in total, it is a good idea to plan 5-6 hours per week, but note that in order to make your new business viable it will require consistency and dedication as it may take several years before your business starts to make a steady income.
- Multiple sources of income:
- This is extremely important. As a working mother, if you dream of having a Minimalist Business (which is a business that will allow you the freedom to enjoy your life without working crazy hours, so you have the time to look after your children and yourself) then you need to consider multiple sources of income. If you rely on only one income source, then there is always a risk that you will be in trouble if that source of income suddenly stops. For example, if you would like to create a business in the travel industry, what happens if there is suddenly a major natural disaster that results in everyone canceling their trips to that country? What if you are a tour guide, for example? This is why it is so important to have a range of sources of income, so not only be a tour guide but also perhaps write articles for a magazine, or spend part of your time managing social media accounts for a company.
- Shift to part-time:
- Once you create your new business and it starts to make an income for you, but perhaps it is still not enough to provide a full-time income, then you can consider shifting to part-time work. This can be beneficial as it will provide you a stable source of income (although less income than a full-time job), while allowing you more time to spend on your new business. The choice to shift to part-time work may be a difficult decision to make, so it is important to consider this carefully and think of all the possible options and pros and cons of each before you take action.
The most important thing is that if you really want a Minimalist Business, then you need to be very careful with your decision making, as you don’t want to quit your full-time job and then end up being in a situation where you are working more hours and having more stress than before!
The purpose of having a Minimalist Business is to work LESS hours and have MORE flexibility, so that you can enjoy your business and your life!
Good luck with your decision making and if you have any questions please let me know!